Spa Dreams in Montreal at Bota Bota
Bota Bota, located in Montreal, Canada is a spa that came highly recommended from friends, family and of course the Instagram community...because really how do people find great travel spots without Instagram these days? When I began planning my trip to Montreal I knew I had to add this gorgeous spot to my list. This spa is not like every other spa...it's a floating spa! Yes..this spa is actually a stunning restored ferry that lives anchored and attached to land on the St. Lawrence River conveniently located just a quick walk from Old Montreal, where we stayed during our visit!
Bota Bota offers a variety of treatments, yoga & a restaurant on board! (Pictured above) You can book a spa service in advance such as a massage, facial, pedi/mani etc. or you can enjoy the water circuits. We opted for the water circuits to get the full boat experience. If you have never been to a Nordic style spa with water circuits I will explain! You will want to follow some steps to ensure that you get the full benefits of the thermotherapy!
1. Spend about 15-20 mins in a dry saunas or our steam bath, to store heat, dilate your skin pores and release any toxins.
2. After your muscles and mind are relaxed get ready to take the plunge into freezing cold water. This accelerates the heart rate and closes the pores of skin. (I always find this the hardest step because the water is so damn cold but it does feel really great after!) NOTE: I did not take the plunge in the freezing river but for daring passengers this is an option!
3. To end the cycle of Nordic baths you can enjoy one of many relaxation areas. I always enjoy the hot whirlpools first (the views from Bota Bota's whirlpools were too good not to enjoy!) and then head to a relaxation zone inside. At Bota Bota there is no shortage of relaxing areas.
For the best experience it's recommended that you repeat the warm, cold and relaxing steps 3 to 4 times...and best of all you are encouraged to do this all in silence or at least whispers but I really do love the idea of practicing this healing treatment in silence.
THE BENEFITS OF NORDIC BATHS
- Helps eliminate toxins.
- Restores elasticity and firmness to the skin.
- Stimulates heart function.
- Improves blood circulation
- Promotes the production of white blood cells and thus helps the immune system.
- Relieves aches.
- Evacuate stress and tension.
Even in the winter the views of Old Montreal are breathtaking and the interior of the boat is cozy, warm and totally relaxing. I can imagine it would be amazing to visit in the summer and enjoy the sunshine, warmth on the decks above and the outdoor pool!
If you're planning a trip to Montreal or live close by and want a day to relax and restore - Bota Bota is for you!